"to take a stab at"
to try or attempt or guess at something
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: What are you working on?
Friend 2: I'm trying to change the tube on this bicycle tire.
Friend 1: Is it not working for you?
Friend 2: I've been trying for an hour but can't seem to do it.
Friend 1: Would you like me to take a stab at it?
Friend 2: Thanks.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Did you finish that budget projection?
Colleague 2: No and it's driving me crazy. I can't get the numbers to align correctly.
Colleague 1: Let me take a stab at your projection.
Colleague 2: It would be great if you gave it a try. I'll email it to you, thanks.
Taking a stab at something you don't know how to do is better than not trying at all.
1) I included it because I figured I'd take a stab at it.
2) With that in mind, let's take a stab at who can win the gold medal for Team USA in 2016.
3) Take a stab at writing poetry (or other forms of creative writing).
4) Anybody care to take a stab at which President was the first to launch an undeclared war against Libya?
5) I feel like I can now take a stab at music differently.
6) I'd like to take a stab at this one from a logistical standpoint.
7) Any chemists want to take a stab at what substance is created from this recipe?
8) I hope you don't mind if I take a stab at the question of " positive " punishments in Hell.
9) Any republicans want to take a stab at being consistent?
10) It is open source, so if someone out there wants to take a stab at it, the source code's available on blendogames.com.
11) Anti-Illuminati graffiti artist Mear One takes a stab at waking folks up across the pond.
12) Eileen works to support them while Campbell takes a stab at being a student.
13) The Cut takes a stab at rounding up the world's 50 ugliest shoes.
14) Google took a stab at re-inventing the wheel and Google+ is now a ghost town.
15) Previously, I took a stab at projecting the forward groupings, and the jury is still out on that one.
16) I took a stab at it today and got rather wet and tired for my pains.
17) I took a stab at editing your code so it would look good here.
18) It wouldn't be the first time that a notable director has taken a stab at the concert film genre.
19) Don't read on until you have taken a stab at the problem.
20) Paul Thomas Anderson has taken a stab at making The Great American Movie.