"to talk someone into something"
to persuade someone to do something
Related words and phrases:
Two coworkers are talking ...
Coworker 1: My son's final championship football game is on Friday. I need to get the day off work.
Coworker 2: I suppose you will have to talk the boss into giving you the day off.
Coworker 1: And how am I going to persuade the boss? It is a super busy time of the month.
Coworker 2: You could remind the boss that you have never asked before. You could convince the boss that you will have all your work done ahead of time.
Coworker 1: That might work. Thanks.
A couple are talking ...
Wife: I would really like to take an Alaskan Cruise for this year's annual vacation.
Husband: There is no way that you will ever talk me into wasting our vacation somewhere cold.
Wife: But Alaska is so beautiful and the cruise ship is warm.
Husband: You chose our vacation the last three years. No way. Sorry. I will not go to Alaska.
Talking your boss into giving you a day off may require repeated attempts.
1) I have tried to talk him into seeing a doctor but he would have none of that.
2) ... and that is never going to happen. Then we learn she's trying to talk him into having another one. Sister, do not press your luck.
3) I didn't have to talk him into coming here. It was a destination that he wanted.
4) ... completely shocked. Where am I? Why on Earth did I let my wife talk me into this?
5) I told them when we did that... they had to talk me into it. I didn't want to be there.
6) ... surgeon of 30 years, I can categorically state I have never let a patient talk me into operating on them against my will.
7) They also might talk you into a three-day juice cleanse, which they call a "juice feast".
8) ... and I'm a pretty good salesman. I can talk you into buying anything.
9) Don't go there. If you need a low monthly payment, they might talk you into an expensive car with a seven-year loan.
10) Don't rush it, enjoy the process but please if you have to talk yourself into it or convince yourself repeatedly about it, then you probably shouldn't ...
11) Ever tried to talk yourself into loving someone you weren't really into because you needed the love?
12) ... you're going door to door to drum up the votes, you might easily talk yourself into buying a new outfit, to look more presentable.
13) ... exercising to really work you need to like it and enjoy it. Having to talk yourself into going to the gym after work isn't really going to give you ...
14) ... a bad time; I'm just feeling a little awkward and trying to talk myself into not feeling awkward.
15) I do it every spring. Like an addict justifying his next hit, I talk myself into planting based on a few days of favourable weather.
16) ... her mind but she would not budge. The two families and friends tried to talk her into not disgracing us but she stood her ground.
17) This wedding will be just as my daughter wishes. I couldn't talk her into something small and we will probably spend about $20,000.
18) She let him talk her into marriage when she was barely 21.
19) We have information that he's been in touch with his victims, trying to talk them into not testifying and coming to court.
20) When people have formed an opinion about you, it's very hard to talk them into thinking otherwise.