"that depends or it depends"
used to say that you are not certain about something because other factors need to be considered
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Are you going to George's party tonight?
Friend 2: That depends.
Friend 1: On what?
Friend 2: Well, will Fred be there? Will there be good food? Are they going to play those silly party games again?
Friend 1: I don't know but when you decide, we're leaving at seven if you want a ride.
A husband and wife are talking ...
Wife: Do you think my new outfit is appropriate for an interview?
Husband: It depends.
Wife: It depends on what?
Husband: Whether or not you want to get the job.
A factory manager is talking to the factory floor supervisor ...
Manager: Do you think we can increase production by 30% by next month?
Supervisor: Well, that depends.
Manager: Go on.
Supervisor: If we change the line configuration and hire twelve new workers, it should be possible.
Two students are talking about an upcoming exam ...
Student 1: How well do you think you'll do on the exam?
Student 2: It depends.
Student 1: On?
Student 2: On whether or not the professor puts straightforward questions from the course on the exam or whether he puts crazy unrelated questions like he has in the past.
Using the term "that depends" could signal the fact that there are other possibilities to consider.
1) The answer is: That depends. It depends on just how serious you are about your winter recreation.
2) Do you look for adventures or do you create them? That depends. On? Circumstances. What do you do?
3) How long will it last? That depends. The effect should be at its peak for a half hour or so under normal conditions.
4) What kind of animal? That depends. Usually it's special-needs animals.
5) So, what do we do now? That depends. You either do your job or get ethical.
6) So, which is better, high gain or low gain? Well, that depends.
7) But what exactly is balance? That depends.
8) Would you hold your ground no matter what? That depends.
9) Do you think that's normal? That depends.
10) Would you do me a favour? That depends.
11) Is it okay to be an atheist? # That depends on who you talk to.
12) That depends on how the Sox view Napoli and how he views himself.
13) "Are you really busy right now?" "That depends, "Phil answered with some degree of wariness."
14) Well, that depends. If it's an opinion then it would apply across the board.
15) But what's the tax rate? That depends. The rate is tied to a team's luxury tax history.
16) Well, I suppose that depends on how you define 'community.'
17) Do I have no problem with it? That depends. It depends on the situation and I don't know the situation.
18) The answer I gave at the time was " well, that depends. "
19) The answer I gave at the time was "Well, that depends."
20) That depends so I won't say for sure.