"that ship has sailed"
an opportunity or situation that has passed and is no longer available
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I really need to get my application in for the internal opening in the marketing department. I think I am perfectly suited for manager.
Colleague 2: That ship has sailed.
Colleague 1: Why do you say that?
Colleague 2: Applications closed last week. A new manager has already been hired.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I think I am going to buy that used car we saw for sale last Sunday.
Friend 2: Sorry. That ship has sailed. Stan bought that car yesterday.
There is no gerund form for that ship has sailed.
1) ... but has no desire to do it again. "I think that ship has sailed, I had my chance."
2) Weddings are dead. This is it, done, that ship has sailed. Department stores were closing their bridal salons.
3) We can rehabilitate it but we can't restore it. That ship has sailed.
4) Educating the masses? I am afraid that ship has sailed years ago.
5) ... when they are two to four months old. But if that ship has sailed, fear not; you can recreate that period in adult dogs.
6) My partner has two children... That ship has sailed... Sadly timing is everything and it hasn't worked out for me.
7) ... no reason to go back to modernist architecture, said Osborne. That ship has sailed. "I don't think we're going to suddenly start building modernist ..."
8) ... the 25-year-old star believes that ship has sailed as she'll never be able to trust him again.
9) We remain big believers in themed attractions -- even though that ship has sailed in Las Vegas, it still works here in Macau and China.
10) ... price of LNG has forced Chevron to shed jobs. Well that ship has sailed, due to big shifts in global energy markets.
11) That ship has sailed. A process has been put in place and most other universities have gone back ...
12) Well, that ship has sailed: it's a done deal.
13) ... have loved to get in on the Alpha or Beta, but that ship has sailed it would seem!! So now I will have to decide without playing the ...
14) Once it's started on that curve, that ship has sailed.
15) ... an agreement was signed, and that ship has sailed.
16) They fail to see that that ship has sailed. Society is already engineered. Women earn less than men, ...
17) ... format are simply fighting a losing battle. I'm afraid that ship has sailed a long while back.
18) They were supposed to keep these kinds of things secret, but that ship has sailed.
19) You can't ban guns. That ship has sailed.
20) I am well into the menopause now, so that ship has sailed!