"the ball is in your court"
you have to do something before any progress can be made in a situation because it is your turn, move or play
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Well, we've responded to our customers offer with a counter-offer. It is well thought out and the best that we can do in the situation. What can we do next?
Colleague 2: Nothing. The ball is in their court. All we can do is wait for them to respond.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I made a big mistake with my girlfriend. I have texted and apologized. I sent flowers. She is not responding and I don't know what to do.
Friend 2: There is really nothing that you can do. You simply have to wait for a response. The ball is definitely in her court. If she wants to continue with you, she will contact you.
There is no gerund form for the ball is in your court.
1) So, the ball is in their court to reciprocate, ...
2) But the government must express flexibility as the ball is in their court after the chief justice's remarks.
3) The next step is what Britain and Sweden are going to do. The ball is in their court, they have to put an end to the legal labyrinth ...
4) The ball is in their court -- it's their choice about whether they want to include ...
5) ... intentions but now they have to decide how to deal with the situation as the ball is in their court. I would expect them to get back to us next ...
6) ... now it's up to the banks to pass on these rate cuts. The ball is in their court.
7) Especially the comments about leadership and direction coming from the top. The ball is in your court, Mr. Pallister. You now have the mandate to get ...
8) Women, when it comes to removing this particular double standard from society, the ball is in your court.
9) "The decision is up to him, the ball is in his court," he told Sky.
10) ... to make sure we're clear with what we can offer, and then the ball is in his court and they'll make a decision that's best for ...
11) ... mayor wasn't available they instead left a letter for him. The ball is in his court, really. We're willing to talk.
12) It shows that we have a strong case against him. Now the ball is in his court. We want justice to be done.
13) I think he might change his mind but I really don't know. The ball is in his court.
14) ... then the ball is in his court to make a decision or explain his decision.
15) If we're innocent then just be confident while the ball is in our court to set the record straight.
16) Now the ball is in our court. We don't want to make another mistake.
17) ... the couple of messages they pass on, the ball is in our court and we are responsible for what happens.
18) But then what? I feel that the ball is in my court, but alas, I do not know how to play ...
19) But he said the ball is in my court. Whether I choose to stay or go.
20) Mary has responded well to all her treatments so far and declares "the ball is in my court to stay healthy because I want to live".