"the last straw"
the last in a series of unpleasant events that finally makes you feel that you cannot continue to accept a bad situation
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: The boss has asked you to take a look at the Johnson account.
Colleague 2: Are you kidding me? I am already working sixty hours a week, participate in the company volunteer in the community program and work from home on the weekends. This is the last straw. I quit!
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How are things going with your boyfriend?
Friend 2: They aren't! I dumped him last week.
Friend 1: Oh. What happened?
Friend 2: Well, he was never very attentive and was always forgetting important occasions but the last straw was when he totally forgot my birthday.
There is no gerund form for the last straw.
1) A report from the Children's Commissioner in August last year was probably the last straw for CYF. It found failures across the department at all levels and said it ...
2) ... release camp he should never been allowed to participate in, it was the last straw. Middlebrook resigned.
3) For them Munich was the last straw. The outrage that broke their backs.
4) The minor oil shock of 1990 following Iraq's invasion of Kuwait was the last straw that broke the camel's back. The balance of payments situation became almost unmanageable.
5) The quick death of a youngster he's taken under his wing is the last straw for the aging farm boy, who deserts and, ...
6) She asked for a divorce three months ago. That was the last straw for him.
7) ... he was reduced to calling his parents for rent money. It was the last straw; he ditched the life of an intern.
8) "I've given (Frank) 20 chances and this is the last straw," she said prior to the live eviction.
9) ... been suspended for serious transgressions -- as their financial advisor must surely be the last straw.
10) However, the last straw for the unemployed and frustrated young man was being assaulted by the policewoman and being ...
11) We had to reduce our volume and cater to lame requests. The last straw was when we were forced to sing 'Happy Birthday' for a family.
12) The second one, he was being delinquent on paying on time. The last straw and I said 'no, you need to leave.'
13) For Ivanka, it was the last straw. Lewandowski had to go.
14) Golden handshakes appear to have been the last straw. In the end, many succumbed to the temptation.
15) This was the last straw. Mokoena decided that as soon as an opportunity arose, she would leave.
16) The blogger claimed that "this will be the last straw that breaks the camel's back", alluding to the demise of the Anti-Najib ...
17) The administration caught on once again. This was the last straw, and the radio station was taken off the air.
18) And for his father, that was the last straw. "I have my son's truck up for sale that I bought ..."
19) ... about to kiss him, John pulls back. This proves to be the last straw for Paige. She asks him to leave, ...
20) Klein said he had been considering leaving the committee, but the last straw came when selectmen voted May 10 to negotiate a full-time job with Kreidler.