"to throw in the towel"
to admit defeat or failure;
to quit or give up
Related words and phrases:
Two business partners are talking ...
Partner 1: We are not going to be able to make payroll this month. We have a mountain of bills and no money to pay them. The bank refuses to give us any more credit. I think it is time to throw in the towel.
Partner 2: You mean declare bankruptcy?
Partner 1: We have no choice but to admit defeat and quit.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Hey. How are you? I haven't seen you in ages. How is your lovely wife?
Friend 2: My wife and I are in the middle of divorce proceedings.
Friend 1: Sorry to hear that. I always thought you two were the couple that would last.
Friend 2: After fighting for years and going to counseling and trying everything we could, we decided to throw in the towel on our marriage and try to remain friends.
Throwing in the towel, he admitted defeat and walked away from the project.
1) The actor revealed he wasn't ready to throw in the towel, and was confident he and Jillian could do more to save their nuptials.
2) ... your whole life to the sport it's not an option to throw in the towel no matter how bad it goes.
3) ... sellers left over from the spring and summer markets are going to throw in the towel and pull their homes off the market.
4) ... he made the difficult decision to throw in the towel on his promoting career in order to spend more time with his ...
5) ... that you have someone who seems to have every reason to throw in the towel, and yet who has fought all the way.
6) ... 'flight' companies which in the face of slight provocation, throw in the towel, close shop and jet out of the country.
7) It's a pesky impulse. To throw in the towel. To call it quits.
8) ... could have been easy for him to decide enough was enough and throw in the towel, ...
9) When they had to throw in the towel in the late 1990s by filing for bankruptcy, ...
10) When will you ever learn to throw in the towel and say "We were wrong after all"?
11) ... may have decided to throw in the towel after realising that there may not be any effective working capital to sustain its ongoing ...
12) ... as the last Japanese company to make VCRs says it will throw in the towel and stop manufacturing them by August.
13) ... refuses to throw in the towel, though, and remains determined to succeed at the club.
14) ... they never throw in the towel and fight it out till the end.
15) Don't get me wrong, it's not time to throw in the towel, but it is time to adjust realistically.
16) ... won't quit when the going gets tough, who won't throw in the towel under pressure, who is ready to go the extra mile; ...
17) I need to consider whether I should throw in the towel or prepare for next season.
18) ... it's time to throw in the towel and go and get a proper job with a proper regular income.
19) Do you just want to give up and throw in the towel?
20) Insurers are waiting for claimants to throw in the towel and accept a cash payment based on a lower standard or cheaper fix.