"to throw someone a bone"
to do something to appease someone by giving something small or giving some slight encouragement
Related words and phrases:
A professor is lecturing ...
Professor: The final exam will be Monday. We've covered an incredible amount of material this term. I hope you are all ready.
Student: Could you please give us an idea of what's going to be on the exam?
Professor: Only subjects we have covered this term. You should be ready for anything.
Student: Could you please throw us a bone?
Professor: OK. There won't be anything on the exam from the introduction.
Two executives are talking ...
Executive 1: The press are going crazy over our product failure.
Executive 2: Maybe we should issue a press release.
Executive 1: Absolutely not until we have consulted with our law team.
Executive 2: There are more than twenty reporters outside the building's doors. It doesn't look good.
Executive 1: Maybe we could throw them a bone to quiet them down.
Executive 2: Like what?
Executive 1: Let's tell them about the new plant we are building and the six hundred jobs it will create.
Throwing someone a bone can help to alleviate a tense situation.
1) Hard to know what to comment about, really. Throw us a bone. I missed the game. Would anyone like to fill me in about ...
2) ... reach out to me. so, honestly -- thanks for trying to throw me a bone, but i think his silence is his silence.
3) I'm really scraping the bottom of the barrel here, c'mon throw me a bone, man!
4) Throw me a bone, give me a hint, tell me which ones did hit the spot.
5) I sure wished that somebody would throw me a bone and offer some clarity.
6) Sources say the players would like the NHL to throw them a bone or two before the union tables another offer.
7) So throw them a bone to keep them happy.
8) What you need to do is occasionally throw them a bone to keep them interested ...
9) Throw them a bone every once in a while (food stamps etc.).
10) Once in a while the company will throw them a bone in the form of dividends.
11) ... genuinely disappointed that no one is offering you criticism, people sometimes throw you a bone to please you.
12) Instead of moping around waiting for the universe to throw you a bone, try acting like you're happy -- even if you aren't.
13) ... kid pay for his college if need be but I'd probably throw him a bone here or there at times to help.
14) Slightly impressed, she throws him a bone that his survey results helped which warms his fuzzy little heart.
15) ... and that these groups will be come around once he throws them a bone or two.
16) So while on the one hand it throws them a bone to so honor him, it almost in a subtle way is demeaning, to ...
17) He can't win without his base so he is forced into throwing them a bone in the form of Paul Ryan.
18) Eisenbach then makes a motion toward throwing them a bone by making one adjustment of his own.
19) ... just as you're on the brink of hitting reset it throws you a bone.
20) The GOP could have thrown us a bone.