a sign of disapproval;
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: You are looking very unhappy and dejected.
Colleague 2: I am. I just pitched my new idea to the boss and she gave me the thumbs down. I will not be able to proceed with it.
Colleague 1: You have been working really hard on this project. I am sorry to hear that the boss disapproved.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was the movie?
Friend 2: Two thumbs down!
Friend 1: You didn't like it?
Friend 2: It was complex and quite boring. The subtitles didn't help either. No, I did not like it.
There is no gerund form for thumbs down.
1) ... don't like what they like, something is wrong with you, hence all the thumbs down on my previous comment.
2) Thumbs down you agitator of ignorance and literary blasphemer.
3) ... and almost 56 percent of Western Australia voters gave DST a thumbs down. Rural areas of the state were overwhelmingly against the measure.
4) Don't be discouraged by the "thumbs down".
5) Now, how could anybody thumbs down a story about a cute little grandson? Have you no heart?
6) Americans are definitely giving a huge thumbs down to mountaintop removal coal mining and coal-fired power plants.
7) How in the world could anyone give a thumbs down to the idea that no one should be sexually abused?
8) User comments that are flagged with a thumbs down too many times in relation to thumbs up votes will be hidden from view.
9) 10 minutes in I fell asleep... since it was boring I give it 2 thumbs down.
10) ... four elementary school students were photographed with their thumbs down in objection to being separated from their male classmates at recess because of fighting.
11) No thanks. Two thumbs down.
12) The worst slaw I've ever tasted. Two thumbs down.
13) Wow. Based on the thumbs down on everything, there is one disgruntled Venky's employee on here today.
14) Survival hinged on the crowd's approval. A thumbs down from the audience usually meant the death of the losing gladiator.
15) ... saying "I'm a fast learner" in an interview with me is instant thumbs down.
16) For that inexcusable lapse in judgment they deserve two thumbs down!
17) State officials are giving the thumbs down to Metro, light rail and bus transit in favor of highway lane expansion.
18) No, it cries out for a response from voters in which they turn thumbs down on the party from which this hateful and irresponsible crap issues.
19) Some held anti-fluoride signs, booed and gave the elected officials a thumbs down.
20) The Economic Development Authority gave thumbs down to the idea on the grounds that it would simply create problems where none ...