"to tide someone over"
to sustain or support someone through a period of deficiency or absence
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: It is only ten o'clock and I am already starving. I guess I should have eaten a bigger breakfast.
Colleague 2: I have some extra snacks if you would like one.
Colleague 1: That would be great thanks. That should tide me over until lunch.
A mother and adult son are talking ...
Son: It is still four days until payday and my cupboards in my apartment are bare. I am not sure what I am going to eat or what I am going to do for bus fare to work until then.
Mother: You never were a very good money manager but I know times are tough so here is fifty dollars to tide you over until payday.
Son: Thanks Mom. I don't know how I would manage without you.
Tiding me over until payday, the one hundred dollar loan from my friend is greatly appreciated.
1) Remind yourself that carpooling and buses can tide you over if your current vehicle does blow up before you've bought a new one.
2) ... the Late Night Buffet (just for one last bite to tide you over until breakfast).
3) This weekend, you can get your fix of hockey to tide you over until NHL training camps start. The Australian Ice Hockey League is ...
4) I love scrapping vacation photos and reliving the memories.. helps tide you over until the next vacation.
5) ... the church provides the community connection. When you lose your job, they'll tide you over, when your wife gets ill, they'll bring the chicken soup ...
6) They can also help with crisis loans etc to tide you over.
7) Perhaps signing up with the agencies is a good bet to tide you over while you are job searching?
8) ... are you aiming high enough, or are you looking for work to tide you over for the moment?
9) ... forgoing all indulgences and unnecessary expenditures, until you have a good sum to tide you over when you come to the end of your notice period.
10) Remember it's perfectly fine to eat a healthy snack (e.g. nuts) to tide you over to the next meal should you get peckish.
11) People are already struggling in low paid jobs, do not have savings to tide them over, they do not have assets they can liquidate.
12) It's essentially a tour EP, to give fans a little something to tide them over until we release our new album which we just finished recording.
13) ... born with extra fat to help with the stress of the birth, and to tide them over the first few days before the mom's mature milk comes in.
14) ... three months old, thoughtfully leaving a shelf of prepared formula in the fridge to tide them over until other arrangements are made.
15) I may go to a second hand store just to find some things to tide me over for a few months. Is that an option for you?
16) Cookies, chocolate bars, bananas and pineapple juice tide me over until our evening meal.
17) ... the end of my student days and just needed a couple of hundred quid to tide me over.
18) The truth however was that I had enough savings to tide me over and my spouse was happy to support me financially.
19) I got busy contacting job agencies to see if I could get something else to tide me over.
20) I have some smallish bottles of VO5 Shampoo and conditioner in my stash at home that should tide me over for now until I find something new.