"to goof off"
to waste time;
to avoid work
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking on a Friday afternoon ...
Colleague 1: What's the plan for this afternoon?
Colleague 2: I really don't feel like working. I think I'll just read a comic book.
Colleague 1: Seriously? You're just going to goof off all afternoon?
Colleague 2: I definitely am not going to do any work.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: I think I'm going to fail this year of school.
Student 2: Why is that?
Student 1: Well, I spent most of the year avoiding the schoolwork by having fun and going to parties and stuff.
Student 2: I suppose that failing is the result of so much goofing off then.
Goofing off when you are supposed to be working can relaxing.
1) It's like when you're goofing off at work by re-arranging your filing cabinet.
2) ... conduct business during rounds of golf, but we all know the President is just goofing off and never, ever works.
3) Then we got there and the girls were all goofing off, but I guess that's expected from 5th-8th graders.
4) They can't focus. They spend more time answering e-mail and goofing off than they do working.
5) Lastly, when you get your first job, be serious about your work. Goofing off is easy in the tech industry, but it's noticed.
6) ... but that meant doing the homework and classwork, answering class exercises, and not goofing off or distracting others.
7) Should we all be goofing off more at work and experimenting with our own ideas?
8) ... this and that can, in all cases, prevent boards from goofing off, checking out and blithely assenting to administrative indolence and fiscal stupidity.
9) The employer absolutely owns the job. Try goofing off at work, and when your boss comes to fire you, tell him ...
10) I've been goofing off since the day I was born. I cheated my way through prep school ...
11) ... lack of trust is counter-productive because it means if you do get the chance to goof off you probably will.
12) If policing yourself only means your brain finds new ways to goof off, consider tracking your time with a tool like RescueTime.
13) I too must fight the urge to goof off, the willingness to be distracted. I tend to work in short, ...
14) (I goof off too much without something to show accountability) so I started scheduling my day ...
15) It's about controlling the message. Employees will goof off. Social Media is a time waster.
16) ... apply the talk to your own budding career, it was invaluable. If you goofed off and didn't think hard on what was being said, you missed out ...
17) ... but I have to admit I goofed off for a couple of hours this afternoon to watch Inspector Morse.
18) ... they basically just goofed off all summer, which I couldn't do.
19) I would say I was a mediocre student until I got to college. I goofed off way too much.
20) ... it's because a student goofed off instead of paying attention, and probably never learned comprehension skills.