"to the letter"
completely or exactly;
to the last detail
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: How are you doing with writing the quarterly report.
Colleague 2: Really well, thanks. I found I could speed up the process by changing some of the structure.
Colleague 1: Sorry? The report will not be accepted unless you follow the prescribed format to the letter.
Colleague 2: Thanks for the warning. I will go back and re-write the report to follow the format exactly.
Two parents are talking ...
Mother: Have you got Bobby's new bicycle assembled? His birthday is tomorrow.
Father: I have put his bicycle together but something is wrong.
Mother: Did you follow the instructions to the letter?
Father: I thought I did but I guess I must have missed something. I will review the instructions and try again line by line.
There is no gerund form for to the letter.
1) ... obeying instructions to the letter, the batsman took a big swing at the next ball and ...
2) ... them to be hard on discipline and to make sure policies are followed to the letter.
3) ... imposed intrusive inspections. I have said we are going to enforce it to the letter.
4) Nithia called the shots and his gang members followed his instructions to the letter.
5) ... said government will have problems implementing the policy to the letter.
6) I followed the plan to the letter and the weight came off steadily.
7) He believes if all of his squad carry out his instructions to the letter, the high-pressing strategy can not be penetrated.
8) ... when pretty much everything was following the script to the letter.
9) ... it can only achieve the desired objectives, if it is implemented to the letter.
10) He loves his systems and concentrates his players to follow the plans to the letter.
11) ... the recommendation made by the committee must be implemented to the letter.
12) ... in practice due to the amount of procedures you'd have to follow to the letter, although I suppose that's indicative of actual police work.
13) ... has to ensure that each step of the nuclear build programme sticks scrupulously to the letter of the law to prevent a later furore.
14) If you follow those instructions to the letter, you will not have any problem.
15) ... should ensure now is thorough oversight to ensure the law is implemented to the letter.
16) I was pleasantly surprised when Dean followed his instructions to the letter.
17) We did fabulously four years ago winning bronze but now we execute to the letter. We play very intelligently.
18) Our anti-corruption mandate, which we insist on enforcing to the letter, is a leveler.
19) Our proposals, if followed to the letter and with no mischievous alterations, would make this possible.
20) ... we believe that the entire process should be reworked, followed to the letter and the laws enforced.