"too much of a good thing"
so much of something good that it becomes negative or detrimental
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Orders have flooded in so quickly over the last several months that for the factory to keep up production, quality has suffered. Now we are starting to get a lot of returns and customer complaints.
Colleague 2: I suppose that proves the old adage that it is possible to have too much of a good thing.
Colleague 1: Sure. The huge increase in sales meant a huge increase in profit but if we lose customers in the long-term, we will actually lose money.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: The weather has been absolutely awesome for weeks and weeks and not a storm in sight for weeks more. We should have perfect weather for our kayaking trip.
Friend 2: Have you ever heard the expression too much of a good thing?
Friend 1: Sure. Why?
Friend 2: Well, with the absence of any rain for so long, the river we were planning to kayak has dried up to the point were it is no longer navigable.
Friend 1: That's not good.
There is no gerund form for too much of a good thing.
1) Way, way too much of a good thing. You've got to split this into more easily accessible parts.
2) But, alas, there can be too much of a good thing. It's bothersome when you tweet 17 pictures of your dog or your baby ...
3) The researchers concluded that with student choice, "too much of a good thing may not be very good at all".
4) ... because the adage that it's possible to have too much of a good thing applies to weather too. Good weather makes us put on our sunglasses and avoid ...
5) But taste is not so simple: super-taste may be too much of a good thing, causing those who have it to avoid bitter compounds and find some spicy foods intolerable.
6) ... your mind is on high alert. However, too much of a good thing could be a problem today, so practice moderation ...
7) You put all this together, and it becomes too much of a good thing. Too much of the same kind of music, same tempo, same dynamic ...
8) When it comes to healthy habits, can there be too much of a good thing? Absolutely. Eating wholesome foods helps keep you healthy, but overeating will make ...
9) Think of it like your own blood pressure. Too much of a good thing is, well, bad. Excess pressure can cause pipe leaks, burst washing-machine ...
10) You can have too much of a good thing. The most obvious things are food and alcohol, an excess of either can be harmful.
11) However, as with too much of a good thing, you can overdose if you try to read the whole anthology in one sitting.
12) You can have too much of a good thing, by over-saturating the demand for it and removing the rarity and anticipation that made ...
13) All digital all the time may be too much of a good thing. Can we survive the deluge?
14) This topic might be called "too much of a good thing?". As other have already noted, mimicry aids conformity but inhibits creativity ...
15) Another is that it clearly describes in humorous anecdotes why too much of a good thing is a bad thing.
16) I finished that tour and had to stop. Too much of a good thing. Even other people's music turns me off when I am like this.
17) Too much of a good thing usually has some consequences and green tea is no exception.
18) Realizing the risk of "too much of a good thing," I think I will put the eraser down for now.
19) It's possible to have too much of a good thing, and that's especially true when the holiday season begins.
20) Alberta now suffers from too much of a good thing or what some wags call "the paradox of plenty."