very uncertain or critical with a possible negative outcome
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How is your dad doing?
Friend 2: He is undergoing triple-bypass surgery as we speak.
Friend 1: What do the doctors say?
Friend 2: The doctors tell me that due to the severity of my father's heart attack and his advanced age that the outcome is touch-and-go.
Friend 1: Your father might die? That's terrible. I am so sorry.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Are we going to be ready before the deadline?
Colleague 2: There are a lot of factors that could tip the balance between success and failure. It is really hard to say if we will be ready on time.
Colleague 1: Touch-and-go situations can be used to encourage teammates to work hard and rise to the challenge.
Colleague 2: Good idea. I really don't want to think of the consequences if we don't meet the deadline.
There is no gerund form for touch-and-go.
1) So far the consumer has continued to spend this summer but it's still touch-and-go on the prospect of a recession.
2) It was touch-and-go when the hepatitis C returned after his second liver transplant.
3) People can't believe it when they see Jonathan. It really was touch-and-go but here he is, sitting next to me.
4) Right up until the last moment it was touch-and-go whether it would all go ahead.
5) ... went from a predicted comfortable margin of victory a few months ago to a potentially touch-and-go result on Thursday.
6) Those butterflies now have bred despite a touch-and-go situation, thanks to a sudden shift to cooler temperatures.
7) He has no chance of playing in the next game and it's touch-and-go as to whether he will play any further part.
8) Morgan was rushed into the emergency room for urgent care. Despite her situation being touch-and-go? she was discharged from the ICU and has made a full recovery.
9) ... admitted that he was touch-and-go whether he would play after picking up an injury.
10) But there was a nine-month period where there were some touch-and-go moments, where his family thought he would die.
11) ... is thought to consider his likely availability as being touch-and-go as he weighs up short and longer-term targets.
12) ... exposing the document and making the statement without legal advice - it's definitely a touch-and-go case and he is just pushing the envelope.
13) ... can still keep a cool head and exercise restraint even in the face of the touch-and-go situation.
14) I was really lucky to have made it through. It was pretty much touch-and-go for a while.
15) ... but it's a touch-and-go situation now if that will stay on schedule.
16) ... was created more haphazardly, no empire ever owed its existence to more fortuitous, touch-and-go victories, than the British.
17) After the birth, each day was touch-and-go for Toby.
18) The medical staff fought a tremendous battle to save her life. It was touch-and-go for a long time.
19) I think it's touch-and-go. It's hard to say if SIA will succeed in its takeover bid.
20) Displays of fireworks may be touch-and-go due to the low cloud and fog.