a period of time when there is a lack of resources;
a period of time with many difficulties
Related words and phrases:
A couple are talking ...
Wife: Do you remember when we first got married?
Husband: I do. It sure was a difficult time. We hardly had any money. We had a baby on the way and both my parents had serious health problems.
Wife: And now we have money in the bank and a beautiful home. We sure have come a long way since those tough times.
Two business partners are talking ...
Partner 1: Aren't you glad we decided to keep at least ten percent of the company's net worth in liquid assets?
Partner 2: Yes, it was a fantastic idea. It is what is keeping us in business through these tough times we are experiencing now. With the current supplier problems and low sales, we never could have made payroll.
Partner 1: And when this difficult time passes, we will continue to replenish our liquid assets.
There is no gerund form for tough times.
1) The prediction encouraged Pharaoh to save in good times to compensate for tough times.
2) Why do people think Yoko broke up the Beatles? They were all ready having tough times, with Bryan being dead and all, but the only thing that made ...
3) Things will be VERY unstable for a while, certainly weeks if not months. Tough times for sure.
4) As the midterm elections near, experts see tough times ahead for Republicans.
5) The good times are lovely, but they teach us very little. Cherish the tough times, too, and use them to grow.
6) I thought of all the tough times and the struggles we went through.
7) Wouldn't the fact that they stayed together during the tough times be more of an indicator of 'true love' then the couples being ...
8) Thomas has seen some tough times in his day. This might be the worst.
9) I have gone through both good and tough times over the course of 17 years.
10) Some are worse than others. But first off, notice that they are generally tough times for humanity and for civilization.
11) We prayed together, ate together, and had both good and tough times together. When my wife and I were in a bad way, the ...
12) I'm quite a jolly drunk, but in tough times I get very weepy.
13) He will not leave him even in tough times, but is willing to bear difficulties with him.
14) Spending on infrastructure during the tough times in order to stimulate actual consumption ...
15) Have the government borrow and spend in tough times and pay back the loans in good times is what Keynes was all about ...
16) And just being with her is enough to make him forget all the tough times he has gone through with her.
17) I'm one of those people who think that in the tough times, the best in us comes out.
18) ... need to be true to themselves, and about having faith to get you through tough times.
19) Some days are better than others. Eventually the tough times pass and periods of joy and happiness resume.
20) Sex is the glue of our relationships, in good times and tough times. When intimacy and sex break down, the relationship can go into crisis ...