"train of thought"
a course of reasoning;
a succession of connected ideas
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: If we implement Product C, then A, then B, the market will respond better.
Colleague 2: I am not sure I am following your train of thought.
Colleague 1: It is a matter of logic. Introduce the least expensive item to get the customer interested and then we work our way up the price ladder.
Colleague 2: OK. Thanks. That makes sense.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Sorry. What was I saying? I seem to have lost my train of thought.
Friend 2: You were talking about how your family is working on a care schedule for your dying grandmother.
Friend 1: Right. So, coordinating everyone's work schedules and school schedules is a real logistical challenge.
There is no gerund form for train of thought.
1) ... enter or leave while the speaker is speaking. This practice not only interrupts your train of thought? it adds to the distraction of the speaker.
2) ... focusing abilities and attention span have gotten much better. I'd lose my train of thought in mid-sentence. That happens much less often.
3) The hilarious thing is that every time Biden speaks, the Republicans completely lose their train of thought as they go hurky-jerky to attack whatever he says.
4) One idea often leads to a whole train of thought -- and you might end up with a really good idea from something ...
5) Mother is just following a train of thought to a logical, yet absurd conclusion.
6) I prefer to use Dragon -- so that I can keep up with my train of thought by speaking, rather than typing.
7) I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought there -- had to go check my email.
8) I'm having difficulty following this train of thought. Care to expound?
9) ... well enough to know what he was thinking since it was similar to my own train of thought. He was thinking about her. The girl he wanted.
10) I decided also to focus on other people and other issues to change my train of thought. Relief didn't come overnight, but after that initial adjustment in ...
11) ... you can, but that's an incorrect assumption. If you continue down that train of thought it is you who defies logic.
12) Also, I'm having trouble following your train of thought. You have a lot of different ideas here that do not connect.
13) We stayed silent, not wanting to break Whithers' train of thought for fear he would reconsider.
14) ... discussions like this one is that, as each of us has his own complex train of thought, it is hard to stick to only one point at a time.
15) Well, your train of thought changes, and you start focusing on something else.
16) This really helps in looking at their train of thought and how they got to their answers.
17) Fundamentally an essay is a train of thought-- but a cleaned-up train of thought, as dialogue is cleaned-up conversation.
18) ... but one needs to have some timing and rational train of thought / ability to articulate logical points.
19) I dislike people telephoning me because: # 1) It interrupts my train of thought and concentration.
20) ... interrupt you with an inane question, forcing removal of headphones and totally interrupting your train of thought.