"to try your hand at"
to try doing something for the first time
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I hear you are trying to transfer out of the sales department?
Colleague 2: I've always wanted to try my hand at marketing.
Colleague 1: Do you have any experience in marketing?
Colleague 2: No. I've never tried but sales and marketing are closely related disciplines. I'll never know if I like it if I don't try.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: We're all going out windsurfing on Sunday. Would you like to come?
Friend 2: I've never windsurfed in my life.
Friend 1: Well, here's your chance to try your hand at it.
Trying your hand at something new can be challenging and fun.
1) Over 150 teenage girls got to have express makeovers and try their hand at coding and creating their own tote bags.
2) The special events allow visitors to try their hand at some of the traditional skills.
3) ... is urging more surfing enthusiasts to try their hand at board making, using whatever material they can find.
4) Before finding his metier as a novelist, Auster wrote poems and tried his hand at short plays.
5) The greatest of them all, Pele, also tried his hand at acting.
6) ... was of the more restless kind. He tried his hand at various things, even joining a monastery.
7) Moss isn't the first former NFL great to try his hand at soccer.
8) Or, does it free him up, allowing him the liberty to try his hand at new things?
9) ... slow down on the expansion, sell off some of his shops and try his hand at servicing tenders to several counties.
10) ... fear your time as a researcher may have been wasted. Why not try your hand at comedy.
11) Here, you will get to try your hand at a range of exciting DIY activities such as ...
12) If you want to try your hand at some do-it-yourself art, try taking your date to a glassblowing class.
13) I left the venue feeling ready to try my hand at investing.
14) I gave up fashion design to try my hand at modelling and to travel the world.
15) ... challenge, I'm also going to be jumping on the tools to try my hand at swinging a hammer.
16) This is the first time Pari has tried her hand at singing and the audience seems to be loving it.
17) So instead of pursuing marketing, Irina tried her hand at beauty contests.
18) ... the chance to climb into the cockpit of a Tutor aircraft and happily tried her hand at the controls of the simulator.
19) Last year there was this 93-year-old vet and he was trying his hand at ice hockey. It was just amazing.
20) Shane was always fond of being outdoors and trying his hand at different sports.