"to twist someone's arm"
to pressure or coerce someone to do something that they do not want to do
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: There is no way that he is ever going to agree to those changes. That project is his baby and he is very protective of it.
Colleague 2: Then we will have to twist his arm into seeing things our way. We need those changes if the project is going to integrate with the rest of the plan.
Colleague 1: I am not sure how we are going to convince him to make the changes.
Colleague 2: We have to come up with some very compelling reasons.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: We could ask Veronica for help.
Friend 2: Of course we could. We wouldn't even need to twist her arm. As soon as Veronica learns we need help, she will jump in and volunteer. She wouldn't even ask for the reason or need any convincing whatsoever.
Twisting your friend's arm in order to get a favor is not the best of behaviors.
1) ... a person to make up a group to do an expedition. She twisted my arm and I agreed to do it.
2) ... that I was already too busy, but she encouraged me, or actually twisted my arm, by pulling the farmer card.
3) "Nobody twisted my arm," he said. "Nobody's making me stay."
4) My friends twisted my arm and told me I should do it. So, I went into ...
5) ... very persuasive. She is an incredible woman and very special, she twisted my arm to get me down here. She is a force of nature.
6) A few friends were in it and they "twisted her arm" to join.
7) ... has twisted her arm to persuade her to do something that went against her instincts, ...
8) They had to twist my arm for me to give him up.
9) I twisted his arm a little bit to get him on board our team.
10) But Maritina "twisted his arm" and he ended up hopping on his motorcycle and driving to the ...
11) He was really excited about doing it; we didn't have to twist his arm too much.
12) Not that anyone had to twist his arm. He loves doing the show.
13) Turnip is the only crop grown but he says sales reps are twisting his arm to consider fodder beet.
14) ... will have a general manager twisting his arm to give up college for a shot at the big leagues.
15) ... of the board you've agreed to stay on again, did they have to twist your arm?
16) Avocados are delicious -- nobody needs to twist your arm to get you to eat the healthy-fat-filled fruit.
17) If you're not seduced by the urge to discover, I'm not going to twist your arm.
18) I usually had to twist her arm just to give me a quote for a story.
19) Maybe we can twist her arm and get her to join us.
20) ... is one of my best friends, and I can sometimes twist her arm into babysitting for me.