"under the hammer"
for sale at public auction
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: What do you think is going to happen with all these computers now that the company is going bankrupt?
Colleague 2: I imagine that they will go under the hammer to be sold to pay off creditors.
Colleague 1: Do you know where the auction will be? I'd like the chance to bid on one of these computers. They are almost brand-new and really nice.
Colleague 2: I imagine the receiver will announce the details of the sale soon.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I heard that you are going to sell that rare painting that you found at a flea market.
Friend 2: Yes. I consigned the painting to an auction house.
Friend 1: How much did you pay for it?
Friend 2: I got it for twelve dollars at the flea market.
Friend 1: And how much do you think it will sell for?
Friend 2: The representative from the auction house said that when the painting comes under the hammer, he expects the bids to be high, maybe as much as a million dollars. The auction house has put a reserve bid of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars on it.
Friend 1: Wow. That is exciting.
There is no gerund form for under the hammer.
1) Over 8,200 vintage items were sold under the hammer at Cheffins' Cambridge, Harrogate and vintage on site sales throughout 2016.
2) ... local market faces an extraordinary challenge with nearly 950 homes likely to go under the hammer.
3) ... and sculptures which inspired the late UK romance novelist Jackie Collins will go under the hammer in a sale of the best-selling author's estate.
4) It was put under the hammer for the first time last October with a reserve price of Rs 85.29 crore.
5) A nearby tenanted two-bedroom property will also go under the hammer, with a guide price of £15,000 and rental income of £3,900 a ...
6) ... and is among 14 offerings that will go under the hammer on March 8 unless sold earlier.
7) Of the 69 bulls that went under the hammer, only 13 were passed in by discerning bidders.
8) A new suburb record was set in Florey when 106 Ratcliffe Crescent sold under the hammer for $840,000.
9) An ultra-rare 1988 Porsche 959 Sport went under the hammer for a world record figure of £1,960,000.
10) ... about a quarter of the entire collection, will go under the hammer at auctioneers Mossgreen, ...
11) In December a nearby colonial villa sold under the hammer sight unseen for $1,028,000, nearly double its RV of $580,000.
12) ... after this season of the league and most players are expected to go under the hammer at a mega auction ahead of the 2018 season.
13) ... and four bidders competed for the home, which sold under the hammer for $780,000.
14) ... 35 years later the business has been sold. The family home went under the hammer.
15) ... will see more than 1,300 horses go under the hammer with around 5,000 visitors from all over the world expected on site.
16) ... oyster fisheries, is among a diverse range of lots set to go under the hammer at Wilsons.
17) Now, it has been put up for sale and will go under the hammer in Arizona on January 19.
18) Auction items will go under the hammer on the night, ...
19) ... says it is probably worth much more than that, will go under the hammer at auction house ...
20) ... became the world's most expensive jewel sold at auction when it went under the hammer for $57.7 million at Christie's Geneva in May.