"under the wire"
at the last possible moment
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Did you manage to send off that proposal before the courier shipping deadline?
Colleague 2: I called in for a pick-up at four-fifty nine.
Colleague 1: That was the last possible minute.
Colleague 2: Yes. Just under the wire but the documents will arrive on time.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Glad you could make it. How was your flight?
Friend 2: Thanks. The flight was good but I almost did not make it. The taxi to the airport hit some really heavy traffic and when I arrived at the airport, I had to run for the departure gate. The gate was just closing as I arrived but they let me on the plane.
Friend 1: Wow! Talk about just under the wire. Another thirty seconds and you would have been out of luck.
There is no gerund form for under the wire.
1) ... frenzy of activity as you might expect for foreign purchasers to get in under the wire.
2) ... has shifted his attention to the Senate campaign in Florida, getting in under the wire and leaving Republicans with no candidate at all if he changes his mind again.
3) ... fun people, but we continue to cultivate this image of doing things under the wire at an elevated cost, without adequate planning.
4) ... though at least some of them weren't going to make it in under the wire, as the motion that shut down the House until September also extended the deadline ...
5) ... he's in within 14 months and completes it JUST under the wire, able to start school with his same-aged peers.
6) ... on the economics team's estimation, the pressure to get projects started under the wire led to the spike.
7) ... the criminal charges were made late last year by Steele to get in under the wire of Pennsylvania's 12-year statute of limitations.
8) ... activity for many women: a chance to get some life tune-ups in under the wire before the curtain falls on one's 30s.
9) The long-form mandatory census is back, just under the wire. Another missed census in 2016 would have gummed up the data for generations.
10) just days before the divorce was finalized. Right under the wire, ...
11) New Horizons eventually launched on January 19, 2006 -- just under the wire -- and Jupiter successfully hurled the spacecraft toward Pluto.
12) ... most complex problems, getting things done on time, getting things done under the wire. This is a team with a can-do spirit.
13) The agent for the prevailing couple just made it under the wire with an offer of $954,000, Mr. Telpner says of the breathless final moments.
14) ... his monthly cost comes to $127, he said, "right under the wire" with the $130 subsidy.
15) Year won't hit theaters until a Dec. 31 limited release, just under the wire for an Oscar-qualifying run.
16) ... only an hour-and-a-half before the forum and, organizers hope, just under the wire to get a liquor license.
17) ... developers are scrambling to get their proposals in under the wire, leading to what heritage advocates says are three demolitions per day.
18) We made it just under the wire -- a year later and it would have been an impossible get.
19) There is a stampede to get under the wire, the current system of subsidies is very, very generous.
20) ... the threat of a deadline will lead to a sudden surge in "under the wire" applications.