one that is expected to lose a contest or struggle, as in sports or politics
Related words and phrases:
a person in adversity or in a position of inferiority
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Who are you going to cheer for in tonight's game?
Friend 2: Why, the underdog, of course.
Friend 1: You always like the come-from-behind-story.
Friend 2: It's very satisfying when David beats Goliath.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Who do you think will get the new assistant position?
Colleague 2: Probably one of the interns but I am really hoping that Hugo in the mail-room gets the job.
Colleague 1: Why Hugo?
Colleague 2: Hugo has been slogging away in the mail-room for five years. He probably doesn't have a chance but I always like the less-privileged underdog.
There is no gerund form for underdog.
1) I like being the underdog. The one all the experts are counting out.
2) It's wrong to tell the familiar underdog morality tale in which the problems of the masses are caused by the elites.
3) Is there any sense that it's as simple as the underdog vs. the favorite team? The underdog comes in with more passion than the team ...
4) They go into markets that are under-served and become the underdog that wins the heart of the customers.
5) If you're the competitive underdog here, if you're the up-and-coming scrappy industry taking on entrenched power, ...
6) ... things are changing, with more opportunities for women. But girls are still the underdog, which means they'll work harder, and everybody loves an underdog.
7) When you're the underdog, you don't go toe-to-toe with the big guy.
8) But for reporters, rooting for the underdog, any underdog, is really a matter of wanting a more dramatic story.
9) For me, I've always been all about the underdog. I've always been one to throw my lot in with the fools.
10) As the underdog, he focused on preparation, execution and passing the test.
11) If you have sympathies, they usually go to the underdog in a contest.
12) Shrug Jordan remembered his underdog rules, "Always remember..... Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David."
13) I'm used to being overlooked. I'm used to being the underdog or the after-thought.
14) Microsoft has become an underdog in all of the most interesting areas of technology.
15) I guess I identify with the underdog or the dreamer who's trying to reach something.
16) Interestingly, however, Apple is still the "underdog" in terms of market share relative to the combined Windows PC ecosystem.
17) They may be the underdog, but their approach just keeps making more and more sense to me.
18) In other words, being the underdog was easy. Maintaining the lead -- that's the hard part.
19) ... who felt threatened, it was easy to convey to them that they were the underdog. That no one thinks they can win.
20) We're going to fight like we're an underdog. We're going to swing, that's for sure.