"the upper hand"
a position of power and control over
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Do you think you will get the promotion? There is a lot of competition for it in the office.
Colleague 2: I believe that I have the best qualifications and I have brought in three new clients this year. That's more new clients than anyone else.
Colleague 1: That should give you the upper hand.
Colleague 2: I hope so.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Does your girlfriend always tell you what you are doing?
Friend 2: She has the upper hand.
Friend 1: Why is that?
Friend 2: She is very beautiful and I love her a lot so I will do anything to keep her and she knows it. Also, I could never get another girlfriend as talented and amazing. That gives her the control in the relationship.
There is no gerund form for the upper hand.
1) For once, qualified buyers have the upper hand not only with sellers but also with real estate agents, mortgage lenders, ...
2) Jason ultimately got the upper hand on him by throwing the Power Sword.
3) We (the reds) actually have the upper hand and we have the power to cause the entire Obama admin to resign and ...
4) Frederick the Great, through superior tactical capability and striking strength, had always the upper hand of an enemy far more powerful in mere numbers.
5) It is so the government maintains the upper hand when it's time to make sure we all obey.
6) The band market is so over-saturated down here that clubs have the upper hand.
7) Those setbacks notwithstanding, the assaulting troops quickly took the upper hand. Within three hours the enemy force defending the beach had surrendered and Allied ...
8) ... while it ends by gaining the upper hand, and commanding.
9) Tito, feeling confident to have the upper hand, put on pressure of his own.
10) Having experience sometimes gives you the upper hand in knowing when to go and when to slow.
11) Well the music industry failed and let Apple get the upper hand and Hollywood suffers from movie pirating.
12) A paying client always has the upper hand in the duo. Yet agencies can initiate a breakup.
13) But when they were organized and stood together, their combination gave them the upper hand.
14) Inexpensive, efficient weapons gave man the upper hand in the protection of his livelihood and for the taking of wolves.
15) When it comes to zoom operation, fixed lens cameras have the upper hand. They usually have powered zoom mechanisms, allowing you smooth control at the ...
16) Myers says that the president has the upper hand on the fiscal cliff, because he picked up seats in the House and ...
17) That's precisely what competition is about. Getting the upper hand over everyone else.
18) The instant they think they have the upper hand for a moment, they will revert back to the bravado, threats and ...
19) No other woman has had the upper hand with Dexter in the way Hannah does.
20) This is what gave the unions the upper hand in handing the White House to Barack Obama for a second term.