"to wait for your ship to come in"
to passively wait and expect opportunities to come to you without actively doing something to bring success to your life;
to wait for a long term investment or gamble, which a person has no control over after the investment has been made, to become successful and thereby make the person rich
Related words and phrases:
Two parents are talking about their son, Tony ...
Mom: I'm worried about Tony.
Dad: He seems to be stuck in a rut. He's twenty-five years old and works at a fast food restaurant. He spends his free time playing video games and partying with his friends.
Mom: He doesn't seem to understand that a person needs to work hard and study to be successful in life.
Dad: He just sits and waits for his ship to come in.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you heard about this new company that I invested in?
Friend 2: No. What's the company going to do?
Friend 1: They're developing a bionic limb system.
Friend 2: Sounds interesting. How long will it be before the company can go into production?
Friend 1: Years and years. They have a prototype but it will take a long time to develop it for the market.
Friend 2: Sounds like you could make a lot of money. I guess you'll just have to sit and wait for your ship to come in.
Waiting for your ship to come in can sometimes prove fruitless.
1) The biggest risk is not to risk at all. Don't wait for your ship to come in... row out and meet it.
2) Barry Sheene once said --' don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing!'
3) I love to sing and I always practice. I am still waiting for my ship to come in.
4) Her comment " instead of waiting for my ship to come in I went out and bought it!
5) You're looked upon as someone who is' waiting for his ship to come in' instead of someone who is building his own ship.
6) You wait for your ship to come in when you don't do anything active to better your condition.
7) Does he wait for his ship to come in while he dreams of being rich and does nothing about it?
8) Does she wait for her ship to come in by dreaming of marrying a rich man?
9) I wait for my ship to come in when I make long term investments in risky ventures.
10) Do we wait for our ship to come in by hoping to win the championship while not practicing to prepare?
11) They wait for their ships to come in but continue the same habit patterns of their lives.
12) Is she waiting for her ship to come in?
13) I have waited for my ship to come in many times.
14) Have you (all) waited for your ships to come in many times?
15) She has been waiting for her ship to come in for years.
16) Was he waiting for his ship to come in after making a long term investment?
17) He had waited for his ship to come in before taking a new job.
18) They had been waiting for their ships to come in for years before realizing that it was not going to happen.
19) I am going to be waiting for my ship to come in for the next couple of years.
20) Are you going to have waited a long time for your ship to come in by the time it actually comes in?