"to walk off the job"
to suddenly and unexpectedly quit a job without notice while at the same time leaving the physical job location
Related words and phrases:
Two union leaders are talking ...
Leader 1: Has the company agreed to any of our demands?
Leader 2: They have given a few small concessions but I think they are stalling and that they will never negotiate fairly.
Leader 1: Well, the people we represent can't wait forever. Perhaps we need to force the company to take action.
Leader 2: Are you suggesting that we should tell our members to walk off the job?
Leader 1: That might be our only choice to get the company's attention.
Two coworkers are talking about a fellow coworker ...
Worker 1: Where is Frank?
Worker 2: I saw him this morning. He looked very frustrated and angry.
Worker 1: He has been trying to get the boss to give him some help with his work. I guess Frank hasn't received any help.
Worker 2: Do you suppose Frank has walked off the job?
Worker 1: He was very upset. I think he has quit his job without notice and gone home.
Worker 2: Wow!
Walking off the job sends a clear message of frustration and unhappiness.
1) Disaster strikes at the MapleCo foundations stone ceremony when the workers walk off the job.
2) Teachers from about 120 state schools in Melbourne's eastern suburbs will walk off the job today.
3) His sacking prompted 74 other maintenance workers to walk off the job.
4) Without an agreement library workers might walk off the job at 12:01 a.m. Sunday, March 18.
5) Unless a last-minute deal is reached, 6,800 flight attendants could walk off the job.
6) On Thursday, the support staff announced that they planned to walk off the job on Friday, Nov. 2.
7) Though the teachers won't walk off the job entirely, they will refuse to carry out certain administrative duties.
8) That's sure to further aggravate employees already threatening to walk off the job on Black Friday in protest of working conditions.
9) Groups of other construction workers have united with electricians to walk off the job.
10) That is the power that workers wield when they walk off the job, or that students muster when they refuse to go to class.
11) After all, workers walk off the job all the time.
12) At the end of the day, a disgruntled worker can say screw this and walk off the job.
13) Try employing tradesmen after your last cheque bounced and they'll walk off the job until they get paid.
14) But, as a general rule, you do not have the right to walk off the job because of unsafe conditions.
15) No one knows just how many Walmart workers will walk off the job on Friday.
16) Mitt Romney told an education forum Tuesday that teachers do have the right to walk off the job.
17) Employees at Los Angeles International Airport were considering plans Friday to walk off the job.
18) They are planning to walk off the job tonight in protest.
19) One Walmart employee did walk off the job, although it's not clear if this was staged beforehand.
20) Police and government employees walk off the job.