"to waste your breath"
to say something that will almost surely be ignored
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I'm getting really worried about Clive. He never exercises and only eats fatty junk food. I think I should talk to him.
Friend 2: Go ahead but it'll be a waste of breath. I've talked and talked to him about diet and exercise. He refuses to listen.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: My wife has been asking for a weekend away and I found a really nice weekend vacation package. The only problem is that the flight leaves Friday afternoon. I need to ask the boss for Friday afternoon off.
Colleague 2: Don't waste your breath. It's month-end and we are super busy. There is no way she will give you the afternoon off.
Colleague 1: For the sake of my marriage, I'm going to have to ask anyways. Maybe the boss will surprise us.
Wasting her breath giving useless advice seemed to be her passion.
1) You're wasting your breath anyway. No-one here cares about your treaties, ...
2) You might be wasting your breath. A good proportion of the population has decided to ignore the evidence ...
3) Since they can't hear you, never shout because you are just wasting your breath.
4) ... you might as well stop wasting your breath on him, because there is something radically wrong with him.
5) You're wasting your breath. With these people its not about logic, its about FEELINGS.
6) Absurdity is simply absurdity, so why waste your breath?
7) He never will... Don't waste your breath, and efforts Michelle.
8) I don't want to hear it, and you shouldn't waste your breath saying it.
9) Why waste your breath with someone who doesn't have an inch of common sense?
10) Not wanting to waste my breath, I nod in silent agreement.
11) I do not want to waste my breath talking about him but there are more important things in hand, ...
12) Why waste my breath when they had to do it anyway?
13) Why waste my breath giving an in depth critique to someone who's never going to read it?
14) Why do I waste my breath? Because you like to feel smarter than everyone else.
15) ... we have all heard from the fringe lunatics, but I never waste my breath debating them.
16) ... and they are wasting their breath in trying to persuade us that they can.
17) I have a funny feeling that I'm wasting my breath here. Will I be ignored? Probably!
18) ... now I saw that I was wasting my breath, unless I could first instill into society a respect for these kids.
19) But why am I wasting my breath? You know nothing of what you are talking about.
20) Until you are willing to face the facts then you are a waste of breath and time.