"to wear the pants"
to be the person in a relationship who is in control and makes all the decisions
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Hey, are you and Martha coming over Friday night?
Friend 2: I'm not sure. I have to check with Martha. She makes all the decisions.
Friend 1: Good to know who wears the pants in your relationship.
Two business owners are talking ...
Owner 1: So, do you think that your company wants to do business with my company?
Owner 2: I'll have to check with my business partner.
Owner 1: Oh. Does he wear the pants?
Owner 2: When it comes to sales and financial decisions, yes he is in charge. I wear the pants on the technical side of the business.
Wearing the pants in the family is usually the role taken by a domineering woman.
1) Kim showed exactly who wears the pants in their relationship, after refusing to let Kanye go solo on the dance floor.
2) She definitely wears the pants in that relationship.
3) A no-nonsense Northerner who you take on at your peril. Probably wears the pants in the Wiggins household.
4) She wears the pants in that relationship for the very simple reason that her country has all the money.
5) ... means he is under the thumb, the wife wears the pants.
6) ... in a relationship is the dominant person who controls things. Who wears the pants?
7) ... there was a lot of talk of "this is the argument that wears the pants", a sexist and also rather peculiar metaphor!
8) When a women takes charge he's asked, "who wears the pants?" All around us are these expressions meant to shame men when they're ...
9) I think he would love to organize an event as I always wear the pants.
10) Taylor Swift: I don't want to wear the pants in a relationship.
11) It's the women that wear the pants and make the decisions.
12) It is obvious you wear the pants in your house, but you wife/boyfriend wears the belt.
13) Many successful women in business (and politics) have had to wear the pants, if not full the battledress, to beat the men.
14) ... swallow me up, indeed. Hillary was born to wear the pants.
15) ... totally out of cash, which is what allows the Treasury to wear the pants in the first place.
16) ... brings home the bread the African man would never allow a woman to wear the pants. No, no.
17) This gave women, quite literally, the power to "wear the pants" in the on-going battle for equality.
18) ... they are the ones who wear the pants; they are the heads of homes.
19) I would describe myself more like a geisha than the one wearing the pants. I'm not a feminist, I'm feminine.
20) I think Albert is wearing the pants, which is a shame because it's the inferior beer in my opinion.