"to wear the trousers"
to be the person in a relationship who is in control and makes all the decisions
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Hey, are you and Martha coming over Friday night?
Friend 2: I'm not sure. I have to check with Martha. She makes all the decisions.
Friend 1: Good to know who wears the trousers in your relationship.
Two business owners are talking ...
Owner 1: So, do you think that your company wants to do business with my company?
Owner 2: I'll have to check with my business partner.
Owner 1: Oh. Does he wear the trousers?
Owner 2: When it comes to sales and financial decisions, yes he is in charge. I wear the trousers on the technical side of the business.
Wearing the trousers in the family is usually the role taken by a domineering woman.
1) Kim showed exactly who wears the trousers in their relationship, after refusing to let Kanye go solo on the dance floor.
2) She definitely wears the trousers in that relationship.
3) A no-nonsense Northerner who you take on at your peril. Probably wears the trousers in the Wiggins household.
4) She wears the trousers in that relationship for the very simple reason that her country has all the money.
5) ... means he is under the thumb, the wife wears the trousers.
6) ... in a relationship is the dominant person who controls things. Who wears the trousers?
7) ... there was a lot of talk of "this is the argument that wears the trousers", a sexist and also rather peculiar metaphor!
8) When a women takes charge he's asked, "who wears the trousers?" All around us are these expressions meant to shame men when they're ...
9) I think he would love to organize an event as I always wear the trousers.
10) Taylor Swift: I don't want to wear the trousers in a relationship.
11) It's the women that wear the trousers and make the decisions.
12) It is obvious you wear the trousers in your house, but you wife/boyfriend wears the belt.
13) Many successful women in business (and politics) have had to wear the trousers, if not full the battledress, to beat the men.
14) ... swallow me up, indeed. Hillary was born to wear the trousers.
15) ... totally out of cash, which is what allows the Treasury to wear the trousers in the first place.
16) ... brings home the bread the African man would never allow a woman to wear the trousers. No, no.
17) This gave women, quite literally, the power to "wear the trousers" in the on-going battle for equality.
18) ... they are the ones who wear the trousers; they are the heads of homes.
19) I would describe myself more like a geisha than the one wearing the trousers. I'm not a feminist, I'm feminine.
20) I think Albert is wearing the trousers, which is a shame because it's the inferior beer in my opinion.