a person who spoils other people's fun by being negative and complaining
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: This game looks like fun.
Friend 2: It's stupid and boring.
Friend 1: Let's go to the park and throw a frisbee.
Friend 2: It's a cloudy day and I think it will rain.
Friend 1: How about watching some TV?
Friend 2: There's nothing good on.
Friend 1: Do you really have to be such a wet blanket?
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I think the invitation list for the party is ready.
Friend 2: Did you invite Trisha?
Friend 1: Yes. Why?
Friend 2: She's always so negative and ruins everyone else's fun.
Friend 1: I suppose you're right. I'll take her off the list.
Being a wet blanket won't win you any friends.
1) ... is folks who wear headphones while they ride. Not to be a wet blanket, but people need to concentrate on their surroundings and not their tunes.
2) I may sound like a total wet blanket for not letting my child be free, but I have concerns about ...
3) The spike in gasoline prices alone can throw a wet blanket on any economy recovery, because for every cent increase in gas prices ...
4) Well I feel like this post is a bit of a wet blanket in terms of being a real party pooper.
5) All this time I've believed it was because I was like a wet blanket and didn't try hard enough to keep him, or he suddenly realised I ...
6) Next week how Martha Taft's nerdy, wet blanket husband became the uncrowned leader of conservatives in the U.S. Senate.
7) AS is like a wet blanket because he is so reserved and extremely cautious.
8) ... be the sign that the person who objects is sad, tiresome, a wet blanket?
9) I don't think yours is a stance of a wet blanket at all. I think you raise some significant points.
10) And talk about putting a wet blanket on anybody in government's willingness to be bold in their recommendations and so forth ...
11) ... to what's relevant and material, or am I being a spoilsport, wet blanket, skunk at garden party, and all that?
12) Yeesh, such a heavy-hearted wet blanket!
13) They could easily assume I'm simply a pessimist, wet blanket, etc.
14) Not to be the wet blanket here, but keep in mind, conference realignment rumors will continue to surface.
15) So, because someone had to be a wet blanket, McAfee also published The 12 Scams of Christmas, which looks at the risks ...
16) ... shooting down ideas (before trying them out, naturally) and being a wet blanket.
17) You are a wet blanket, a killjoy. Instead of encouraging, you say stuff like " It must ...
18) At the risk of sounding like a bit of a wet blanket, though, I must remind you of the lesson of Concorde.
19) The problem is that, as written and performed, Craig is a wet blanket; a bore that not even a boisterous rock-and-roll dream sequence can liven up.
20) I wasn't trying to be a wet blanket, or overly negative. Just trying to emphasize how critical it is to have ...