"to win by a nose"
to win by the slightest amount;
to barely succeed
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Well, did we win the bid for the new advertising contract?
Colleague 2: Just barely. I think because we added the extra billboards that we just won over our competitor.
Colleague 1: Winning by a nose is still winning. That's great news!
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I heard you bet on a horse race. Did you win?
Friend 2: My horse was running in second place until the last one hundred meters. I didn't think my horse would win. Then at the very last opportunity, my horse burst ahead and just won the race by a nose.
Friend 1: Congratulations.
Winning by a nose leaves no margin for error.
1) Oreo, the Siberian husky from South Penrith, has tipped the Liberal Party's Stuart Ayres to win by a nose on Saturday and hold on to his seat in ...
2) As a cold remedy, hot liquids win by a nose.
3) With polls showing the Iowa caucus win by a nose, super PACs for Ted Cruz want to see him in a one-on-one debate with Donald Trump and ...
4) The JV game finishes; we win by a nose in a tense, hold your breath kind of ending.
5) It was a close battle but LiquidPlanner takes the win by a nose.
6) ... US presidential race heats up, odds are on Clinton to face Cruz and win by a nose.
7) At the flag only one-tenth of a second covered the top four with Yamaha's Glenn Allerton taking the win by a nose from teammate Wayne ...
8) Unless of course a category were to be created for Best Sales Ploy in which case this Duc would win by a nose just ahead of all Indian's efforts.
9) And he didn't win by a nose, he won by like four or five lengths.
10) Most of the time, matches between Real Betis and Villareal ended with a win by a nose.
11) The United States won by a nose, with 29 per cent of respondents saying the world's largest economy would be their first choice.
12) ... certainly declared victory, though you would not know from her election night speech whether she crushed her opponents or won by a nose.
13) At $63,824, public schools won by a nose against private schools at $63,634.
14) I hate to say it but … this one won by a nose. It is a dry wine with a velvet-like texture that makes it easy to drink on its own.
15) Bloodborne may have only won by a nose but it still won, beating out two much better known, multi-format games.
16) I won by a nose. That was so close!" Michael said.
17) ... 4 side-by-side with a fellow championship challenger on the last lap and then winning by a nose after a little “quintessential NASCAR” racing.
18) ... in Turn Three, but Horn overtook the top spot by the next corner and held on to the checkered flag, winning by a nose and just 0.168-second.
19) The 1A-5A Girls meet went all the way to the wall with the Saints winning by a nose clip 188-187 over UMS-Wright.
20) ... side-by-side the whole way and as usual, it came down to a sprint for the finish with Rippey winning by a nose.