a boring person who talks a lot but communicates nothing of substance or interest
Related words and phrases:
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: I really don't like taking classes with tenured professors.
Student 2: Why is that?
Student 1: A tenured professor thinks they know everything and then they talk on and on and almost always don't say anything of real consequence.
Student 2: I suppose you're right. They can tend to be pompous windbags.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Here we go again. The vice-president of useless rhetoric is giving yet another speech.
Colleague 2: Well, he was appointed by the board.
Colleague 1: I have never hear him relate anything at all understandable. He is boring and really thinks he knows what he is talking about. He also expects us to follow through with whatever crazy idea he is pontificating about.
Colleague 2: Well, windbags are a part of the job.
Being a windbag seems to be a prerequisite for a history professor.
1) ... unlike Zeb, who is only considered a windbag of ignorance and uneducated bias to the few that read the comments in this article.
2) ... a pompous, deceitful windbag?
3) Kelsey Grammer is an obnoxious windbag. I never liked his TV shows and I never liked him during his appearances ...
4) Trump. In addition to being a pompous windbag he is now a constitutional scholar.
5) I'd say that although Korzybski was a painfully tedious windbag in Science and Sanity, I've seen lots of summaries that were concise and ...
6) Very early in his campaign, Obama was extremely arrogant and an incoherent windbag.
7) ... listened to your better judgment -- you still come off as a pompous, overinflated windbag of a man.
8) ... future Republican candidate for president who allegedly walked on water but was really a posturing windbag albeit personally brave.
9) ... an uninspiring boring old windbag with no fight left in him.
10) ... admit it, when he's not being a windbag, he's endearing and would be awesome at a dinner party.
11) How can anyone take seriously something that a pompous windbag millionaire like Bono says?
12) She's the biggest windbag in the media. Her artificial, self-important delivery style on TV is so grating.
13) ... surely somebody has something bad to say about that awful windbag Henry James, king of the parenthetical sentence?
14) If you wish to deflate a windbag, you need to show where he's wrong, rather than making schoolyard taunts.
15) ... the fraudulent system we live under and many have responded with deeds as opposed to windbag words.
16) ... while you were pontificating like a self-important, self-satisfied windbag.
17) Once that windbag opens his mouth it will be all downhill from there.
18) I am (proudly at times!) a disagreeable windbag pontificating at great length.
19) I find him a useless windbag, a poseur who hides behind his academic title to be able to get away ...
20) This plodding windbag is the man who turned the BBC into a bean-counting Babel.