"to wipe the slate clean"
to cancel or ignore what has gone before;
to erase any record of wrong-doings and begin anew
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: We've been working on this for weeks now. We have looked at all the sections of code, rewritten half of it and still the application is not working.
Colleague 2: I suppose we could consider wiping the slate clean.
Colleague 1: Do you mean start completely over from a blank page?
Colleague 2: Exactly. If we can't fix whatever is wrong, we probably have no choice but to start fresh.
A couple are talking ...
Wife: Are you not getting tired of all this fighting? I say something nasty to you and you are upset with me and then you say something bad to me and the cycle just keeps continuing.
Husband: We are carrying a lot of past grievances but I really want our relationship to work. Is there a way that we can just forget about all the negative stuff between us and start from the beginning as if we had just met? It was so good then.
Wife: Yes. Let's wipe the slate clean. I love you and you love me and all is well.
Wiping the slate clean, the couple decided to forget all past transgressions and make a fresh start with their relationship.
1) It's an opportunity to wipe the slate clean, starting with a brand new manager, possibly an entirely new coaching staff.
2) Here's the fundamental question: Is it time for you to wipe the slate clean and start again from first principles?
3) What Duco is getting is a rare second chance to wipe the slate clean and make a new first impression with the Vancouver Canucks.
4) Or do you think that people can wipe the slate clean and pretend it never happened?
5) But they accept it would give incoming MPs a chance to wipe the slate clean and live by a new set of expenses rules with a new salary.
6) When DirectX 10 was released, Microsoft decided to wipe the slate clean and start afresh. What followed was a completely new driver model.
7) So we can't just wipe the slate clean and say, start from the beginning, everyone starts the same.
8) ... distressed debts, including student loans and outstanding medical bills, and then wipe the slate clean by writing them off.
9) Perhaps the right place to start is to wipe the slate clean, pick up a fresh piece of chalk and start thinking from basics.
10) I had an opportunity, when they gave me Casino Royale, to wipe the slate clean, because we're beginning again.
11) ... get some system cleaning tools and go to town, or you can wipe the slate clean and rebuild your system.
12) ... so that one large group of scientists now suggests that we need to wipe the slate clean and construct an entirely new understanding of genes.
13) ... best bet is to declare bankruptcy, become a receiver, and wipe the slate clean. Tear up every union contract and start from scratch.
14) Quite the contrary, but I was willing to wipe the slate clean and give him another chance.
15) If only we could wipe the slate clean and start again. Get rid of them both. But then what?
16) I've found it's easier to just wipe the slate clean of existing modules and start again.
17) Carlyle demands of readers and of friends that they perpetually wipe the slate clean; when he asks for forgiveness, he is not asking to be pardoned ...
18) Once you're done, you can save your creation, or simply wipe the slate clean and start again.
19) If you screwed up in the past, do yourself a favor and wipe the slate clean, even if you made bad calls, ...
20) So after much fiddling and rebuilding he decided to wipe the slate clean and start again creating a new race bike, motor and all.