"with bated breath"
hardly breathing at all because of anticipation, fear, excitement, or other strong emotion
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Have you heard? Did you get the promotion?
Colleague 2: No. I haven't heard anything and the anticipation is killing me. This promotion is so very important to me and my family. It would change our lives.
Colleague 1: I suppose all you can do is wait with baited breath.
Alan took out a small ring. Jennifer knew this was the moment, and she waited with bated breath for him to ask her to marry him. All of the other patrons in the restaurant watched with bated breath.
There is no gerund form for with bated breath.
1) It's kind of one of those things where I guess you wait with bated breath, and see what's actually going to happen.
2) I'm waiting with bated breath to see what happens to the various facets of our healthcare structure.
3) ... on the longterm viability and profitability of any firm. Still, we wait with bated breath for each announcement, powerless to ignore them.
4) While Israel peppered Gaza with a barrage of missiles, the international community watched with bated breath as the Israeli army documented its deadly warfare in real-time on Twitter.
5) As the Apple-Samsung court case goes to jury, the entire high-tech world is watching with bated breath. This case has the potential to transform mobile development for the foreseeable future.
6) I handed it over, and waited with bated breath for him to call me that night. He did. I was ecstatic.
7) ... which new shows have been sinking and swimming this season. We all waited with bated breath to see which show would be cancelled first.
8) I'd been waiting for this dinner since the beginning of the season, with bated breath, with homesickness, with pride, with personal attachment and investment.
9) The ending was fabulous. I will wait with bated breath for Ms. Jackson to gift us with another new novel.
10) ... you have all been sitting at your computers constantly hitting refresh, just waiting with bated breath to see what I would write.
11) Now she simply must wait with bated breath and a freight train full of white wine, for his cancer to come ...
12) Anyway, where's this message from Robinson? If I have to wait with bated breath much longer I'm going to pass out.
13) Friday, more than 1,000 letters had been sent, and the students waited with bated breath to hear what would happen to their friends the next day.
14) I know everyone at Oxford has been waiting with bated breath for these rankings. The University's poor performance is bound to provoke an ...
15) ... that so many gamers have competed it already, giving them cause to wait with bated breath for the arrival of the first downloadable content for the campaign.
16) I've finished the first draft of my book and I'm waiting with bated breath for my editor's feedback.
17) ... first men landing on the moon resonated around the world. The world waited with bated breath to see Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin take the first step onto the moon.
18) Interesting! Will be following what happens from here on in with bated breath. I believe there is a lot more to be uncovered than what was ...
19) Quite frankly he is already excommunicated from the Church. I am waiting with bated breath for a formal announcement of this fact.
20) He's set records alight in Canada and so the world is waiting with bated breath to see what he can do against the rest of the world.