"to work yourself up to"
to slowly prepare yourself for something difficult
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: When are you finally going to ask Susan out on a date?
Friend 2: I am trying to prepare my courage to ask her.
Friend 1: You've been working yourself up to asking her out for months now. Just do it already!
Two coworkers are talking ...
Coworker 1: Are you going to ask the boss for a raise?
Coworker 2: I need to work myself up to it.
Coworker 1: How long will that take?
Coworker 2: The boss is pretty intimidating so I could be preparing my courage for a while.
Working yourself up to asking your girlfriend to marry you is not easy.
1) I am only using a teaspoon of oil at the moment -- trying to work myself up to taking more each time.
2) I had to work myself up to doing that.
3) It was fifteen minutes before I could work myself up to go and humble myself.
4) I have spent all this time trying to work myself up to making an appointment.
5) I had to work myself up to it for weeks.
6) I start on my aggression. I like to work myself up to the fight.
7) I am trying to work myself up to where I can stand the idea of dieting again.
8) Do the next best thing to it. Then, you work yourself up to that big thing.
9) Switch speeds and incline and try and work yourself up to a peak you can only maintain for 10 or 20 seconds.
10) How many times each day do you try to work yourself up to tackle some undesirable task?
11) You have to work yourself up to FEEL things in order to make a scene real and believable.
12) Dr Budwig pointed out that people who are suffering from Chronic or Terminal disease should work themselves up to consuming 4-8 Tbsp of the oil daily.
13) I'm working myself up to a visit, will definitely take some will power
14) I'm still working myself up to it.
15) As we are moving house soon I've been working myself up to designing and decorating again.
16) I have spent two years prepping and working myself up to.
17) Stephen had very nearly worked himself up to an intention to call and see her face to face.
18) We're working ourselves up to the construction of a barn.
19) We were working ourselves up to prepare a dinner for Merrill and his family and guests that night.
20) I usually worked myself up to where I couldn't possibly make a tip.