Mycustomessay.com - english essay writing service
Dedicated to helping you understand English Idioms
|Common Idioms||Category List||General||Master List||What's New?|
What is an idiom?
An idiom may be defined as a word or group of words whose meaning cannot be understood from a literal interpretation of each word.
This idiom is "a piece of cake".
- Is this idiom sweet like cake?
- Do we bake an idiom like a cake?
- Do we eat an idiom like cake?
No, we do not do any of these things with an idiom. We can see that a literal interpretation of each word does not give us the true meaning of this idiom.
This is a piece of cake. = This is easy.
Why are idioms important?
- English is an idiomatic language.
- The English language contains thousands of idioms.
- Native speakers of English use and understand idioms naturally and automatically.
- Students of English need to become adept with using and understanding idioms to be considered fluent in English.